7.28.2006

Is everyone I know having babies?

I have been asked for several months if I make diaper bags. However...with the name diaper bag comes this idea that it will be stocked full of gadgets like changing pads and waterproof material and... Well, I'm avoiding that term all together. I'd rather design for MOM. Yup, rather than make what the baby things the mom should carry I want to make what the mom wants to carry. That's sort of what I was shooting for with the Uptown Girl bag that I just finished even though Heather didn't say make a diaper bag. As an Aunt, I know mom's always need to carry a little extra with them for the little ones. (p.s. as an aunt you also do too.)
Ok, now here's our little secret. (Don't tell Heather.) I'm greatful that she hasn't sent me her new address because I am making her a little bag that will match and fit inside the bag that I made her. I figured that this bag could be used for makeup/toiletries when she travels or for organizing some of that "extra stuff" that gets losts in the mix. I've been dying to use this iron-on vinyl that I just found out about. I'm hoping that this stuff will make the bag slightly water resistant. We'll see. If this stuff works then I will apply it to the bags that I make for moms.

So...to answer all of your questions. Do I make diaper bags? The anwer is no, I make mom's bag. Full of pockets and essentials for mom to carry baby's items but without the Dora the Explorer, Winnie the Pooh, or any other fictional cartoon character that some mass marketer decided would be cute to see a grown woman carry. Please keep in mind that as I write this I am sitting in my brand new WONDER WOMAN shirt that I bought at Great America on Tuesday. :) Seriously!

I also just saw a really cute bag today that gave me tons of ideas for a new bag. More large compartments. I will sketch up some ideas hopefully tonight so I don't forget and as soon as I finish some of the other orders that I have I will start making the soon to be infamous Mommy's Bag.

If you would like a bag either one you've seen on my site or you'd like one designed just for your needs please email me and I will be sure to get back to you. All I ask is that you do allow me time to create each of these funky and fashionable bags (approximately 2-3wks) because I work on them between my full-time job, my part-time job, and sleeping. Oh, and everyone needs at least a little social life. :)

8 Comments:

At 12:18 AM, Blogger feedingthebobbin said...

hey! where can i see your uptown girl bag? I looked at some of your bags listed under "fashion bags". They are so gorgeous. I love all the piece work. I like that you really have a point of view. i got that phrase from project runway:)!
I know what you mean about that satisfying feeling of figuring out something. I basically made the bella bag up as i went (which explains the zipper problem!) I usually have to make several of a bag before it is just right. I never know what to do with the prototypes. Do you sell yours? Do you sell on ETSY?

 
At 8:19 PM, Blogger karen c konkel said...

Honestly, I sell all of my bags. I usually don't repeat a pattern unless asked to. I like knowing that each bag is unique and different in not only colors and fabric but in size and shape. I just got online with my creations so I don't sell on Etsy. I sell through word of mouth, family, friends, and a wonderful little boutique here in Milwaukee, J Bird. Since most of what I do is create a bag specifically for someone and their needs each one comes out so different. A work of art. I probably won't be able to make a lot of money doing it this way but the work sure is satisfying.

 
At 8:30 AM, Blogger feedingthebobbin said...

I did see your uptown girl bag already, I just didn't notice the name of it. must have been sleepy! I love the water bottle holders on the sides. LOVE them!
I also love that each bag is unique to its owner. you do really great work. so much detail in the construction.

 
At 9:37 PM, Blogger rae rae said...

yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! a matcher!!! :) I do need to send you my new address. I'll do that now :) But no hurries, but I do know that I got Carter's welcome gift oh, how many months after he was born? ;)

 
At 8:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really would like a fall bag. Knowing me it will have to have black, plus some color. Not to big, but an outside pocket so I can ans. the phone in a hurry! If I hear it ring. I 'm going to need it for bridge the first Wed. of Sept.
Take care, M

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger karen c konkel said...

H-
There's a reason why I buy 12m clothes as new born gifts. ;) Besides, everyone buys 0-6m then after 6 months your SOL. See. I'm going against the norm and helping YOU out. :)

 
At 9:39 AM, Blogger karen c konkel said...

Mom-Look at you. You're blogging! I will definitely get you a bag before bridge so you can show it off. :)

 
At 10:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Karen!
What is your email address as I would love to order some stuff from you. Your site is great - Denise S. showed me your card but I didn't write down your email address.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home